Saturday, September 02, 2006

Thank you Sharikou

Sharikou has kindly linked to my blog...and I have to admit his name is cleverer and less personal than the title I came up with. I did start this blog with the intent of not blindly supporting one side or the other regardless of the facts - a pattern of behaviour about Sharikou that was frustrating me. However, I had no intention of turning this blog in an attack on Sharikou.

On to more important things. Seems like Intel is about to announce the layoffs everyone has been expecting. It is a pity that so many will have to pay the price for the systemic incompetence of Intel's senior management. I think if Intel does not report brighter results by Q4, they will be looking for a new CEO. Since Otellini was COO and then CEO while Intel grew by 20 thousand people in 12-18 months.

And yet again, we see a brilliant decision from Intel to get into the discrete graphics business. OMG - don't these guys ever learn. If they can't deliver reasonable integrated graphics, why would they think they can match Nvidia or ATI on their home turf. I don't get it...someone explain to me why they would go down this path and not work with Nvidia or acquire a company with the technical capabilities?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Intel hired engineers from 3DLABS now former discrete graphics division. This should give Intel a pretty big boost, but still not on the level of ATI or Nvidia. Nvidia also hired some of 3DLABS engineers.

As for Intels X3000, I have heard it performs worse than their GMA900 in DX9. However, being that it is a DX10 gpu, I will hold final judgment until I see its performance on Vista.

Fingers not crossed.

180 Sharikou said...

I wouldn't hold my breath either. Here's what I think you're talking about.

Graphics is not an area of strength for Intel. The only reason I can think of them creating their own discrete graphics business is because they have no choice w/ the AMD/ATI merger. They cannot trust Nvidia forever so that leaves them no choice but to build self sufficiency.

Anonymous said...

It's even worse than I thought.

Conroe - Intel take 2 steps forward;
X3000 - Intel take 1 step back.

Anonymous said...

Intel i740 was a good OpenGL performer back in those days. However it short lived driver support (the last was DX6) makes me never trust Intel graphics anymore.